• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

Academic Calendar

The academic year at HSE starts on September 1 and ends on August 31 (including classes, exams, breaks and holidays).

Here's the detailed calendar for this year:

Module 1
Module 2
Module 3
Module 4
01.09.2020 — 18.10.2020 26.10.2020 — 20.12.2020 11.01.2021 — 28.03.2021 05.04.2021 — 20.06.2021
19.10.2020 — 25.10.2020 21.12.2020 — 31.12.2020 29.03.2021 — 04.04.2021 21.06.2021 — 30.06.2021
  1.01.2021 — 10.01.2021 01.05.2021 — 10.05.2021 01.07.2021 — 31.08.2021*
*for 2021 graduates 01.07.2021 — 12.08.2021

Modules and Schedule

At HSE University, academic year is divided into four parts called modules. Each module lasts for about two months and ends with an exam week. Usually, the final week of each module is an assessment period (apart from the final exams at the end of Module 4 that last two weeks).


St. Petersburg
Perm Nizhny Novgorod

08:10-09:30 (1 class)


09:40-11:00 (2 class)

08:00-09:20 (1 class)

09:30-10:50 (1 class)

11:30-12:50 (3 class)

09:30-10:50 (2 class)

11:10-12:30 (2 class)

13:10-14:30 (4 class)

11:10-12:30 (3 class)

13:00-14:20 (3 class)

15:00-16:20 (5 class)

13:00-14:20 (4 class)

14:40-16:00 (4 class)

16:40-18:00 (6 class)

14:40-16:00 (5 class)

16:20-17:40 (5 class)

18:20-19:40 (7 class)

16:20-17:40 (6 class)

18:10-19:30 (6 class)

20:10-21:30 (8 class)

18:10-19:30 (7 class)

19:40-21:00 (7 class)


19:40-21:00 (8 class)

Schedule for each module is published a few days prior its start. You can find it the following ways:

  • on your programme’s website

  • through the official RUZ app or HSE app

  • on the notice board in your faculty's building

Study Office

At the Study Office, you can get information about your individual curriculum, clarify your timetable, check your grades, enrol in an optional course, etc. The main contact at Study Office is your programme manager. Their phone and email are available on each educational programme’s website.

Programme Academic Supervisor

Every programme has an academic supervisor. The academic supervisor is the main person responsible for studies, courses, and lecturers in your curriculum. The academic supervisor’s contact information is published on the programme website, so feel free to write or call them.

Every programme also has an academic council led by the academic supervisor. Together they develop the programme’s academics, research, and other activities

Group Leader

Your group leader is a student who has taken on additional responsibilities. Group leaders solve organizational issues and act as intermediaries between their classmates and the Study Office.

Do you have what it takes to be a group leader? Ask your study office about the appointment process in your group.


HSE uses a 10-point grading scale. Students receive grades as a result of ongoing assessment and final examinations, as well as for their active involvement in lectures and seminars.

The scale corresponds to the qualitative grading framework adopted at HSE:


10-point scale Russian grading framework ECTS grading scheme  








Very good




Very good





























Two types of assessment:

Ongoing assessment: oral (colloquiums, business games, and in-class responses) and written (essays, reports, tests and cases).

Interim assessment: an exam on the completion of a course or its part.

Detailed information on the grade calculation formula can be found in the course syllabus on your programme’s website.

Ranking, GPA, and Percentile

The student ranking (rating) provides an objective assessment of your knowledge in all courses. Your position in the ranking can influence the size of discounts for students who pay their tuition, and academic mobility opportunities. There is current ranking (that sums up your grades for one, usually last, semester) and cumulative ranking that covers the whole duration of your studies.

In your personal account, you can see your GPA, the weighted average score, and percentile, an indicator that shows what proportion of students study better than you.

Individual Learning Path

Undergraduate students are offered a choice of different learning models, starting with a set curriculum and ending with a self-designed trajectory.

You have an opportunity to study the courses of another undergraduate programme in addition to the set curriculum. If you also pass the final state certification exam in this educational programme, you will be given state-approved diplomas in several areas of training. But if you do not want to fully master the core of the educational programme (Major) and will study according to a self-designed curriculum, then you will only be issued an HSE custom diploma.


Individual Curriculum (Individual Education Plan, Individual Study Plan) is a list of the courses you will take during an academic year.

It is possible to take extra courses from other educational programmes with the consent of the Study Office.

The course catalogue can be found here.

A Special Individual Curriculum is issued at the student’s request in the following cases:

  • intra-university transfer from one programme to another;

  • reinstatement of students previously dismissed from HSE;

  • student transfer from a different university;

  • undertaking two programmes at the same time;

  • student transfer to an accelerated programme;

  • student participation in academic mobility;

  • repeating courses (no more than two) in case of failed examinations accumulated during two modules of the same semester.

Grounds for Dismissal

Attend classes, submit assignments on time, improve your position in the rating, and everything will be fine. However, if you receive failing grades in three or more courses, then you do not have any recourse. You will be dismissed immediately due to failure to maintain minimum academic performance.

Reasons for expulsion

  1. On student’s own initiative (within 7 days from the corresponding request).

  2. On university’s initiative:

  • for poor academic performance

  • for failing the final state attestation

  • for violating the HSE Declaration of Values and HSE Internal Regulations

  • for breach of agreement for paid educational services

Note: Students cannot be expelled for violation of the HSE Charter and Internal Regulations while they are on sick leave, academic leave, vacation, or maternity leave.

Student Pack


The Learning Management System (LMS) is an HSE University’s integrated educational information space.

The most important info:

Your login: your university email address

Initial password: the number of your student ID card (no dots, slashes, etc.).

The system will ask you to change this automatic password after your first login.

In your personal LMS account, you will only see the courses you are registered for.

Through LMS you can also access your electronic grade book which doesn’t go in a classic hard copy version.

There is a number of fancy things you can do in LMS:

  • enroll in courses;
  • study learning materials;
  • perform different types of academic activities (upload assignments, term papers, pass tests);
  • communicate with teachers, study offices and other students.

To learn about LMS opportunities and how to use them, please, attend LMS instructional course during your Orientation session. For more information visit the webpage

University Email

All international students are provided with HSE University email address. During your stay at HSE University, all emails and notifications from instructors and study offices will be sent to this address.

Electronic ID Badge

To access HSE buildings you will need an electronic ID Badge.

All international students who live in dormitories get temporary ID Badge upon check-in.

Full-degree students who live in private accommodations only receive permanent ID Badge.

All international full-degree students must apply for permanent student ID Badge after they receive their Student ID. It can be done at the Pass Desk. You will need your passport, Student ID and temporary ID Badge with you.

You can also apply for an ID Badge before receiving a Student ID by providing a status confirmation certificate from your Study Office.

For more information about the Pass Desk, check The issue of the electronic passes here.

Student ID card

Student ID card is the most important document on the basis of which all other student documents are issued. It is an official document certifying that you are an HSE student.

Full-degree students receive their student ID from their Programme Manager at the organizational meeting with their Study Office. 

Student ID card offers discounted admission to some museums, theatres, cinemas, clubs, exhibition centers, and zoos. The ID also allows for the seasonal discounted purchase of railway tickets. On special occasions, some shops and cafes also offer certain discounts to students.

Social Transport Card

Student Social Card (Transport Card) has two major functions.

  • The card is used as a transport card allowing you to use public transport in Moscow (metro, buses, trams, trolleybuses) at a lower price. It must be activated and then refilled every month, separately for underground (at a metro ticket booths or online) and aboveground public transport (in grey ticket kiosks). 
  • The card is used as a bank card to make payments for goods and services.

Note that after you submit your social card application you will have to wait for at least 1 month until the card is issued.  

Important: foreign citizens can apply for Transport card at any Moi Documenty office in Moscow, regardless of their place of residence.

Check this website to learn about the social card application procedure.

Library Card

Library card is linked to your electronic ID Badge and allows you to borrow books from all libraries of the university. You will also need to fill out an online form on library's website to obtain access. Here you can find the form.

As for web resources, you can receive access to HSE University’s electronic resources by following the General Procedures for Obtaining Remote Access to the library website.

Library rules:

  • leave your bags in the checkroom;
  • respect the rule of silence;
  • conversations on mobile phones cannot be held in the reading halls; mobile phones must be switched to silent mode;
  • no food or drinks are allowed in the library.

For more information visit the webpage


You need to have a laptop or access to a computer, because up to 25% of your courses will take place online.

In just a couple of clicks you can get a student subscription to Microsoft Office for the entire duration of your studies. We recommend downloading Google Sheets and Google Docs, as they are convenient services for students’ collaborative work.